Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Deadlines and Dead Lines



One of the best things I've done lately was to give myself a Deadline for this draft of India by Faith for August 31st.  I told a few friends that I'll need some editors and they all said that the end of August will be perfect for them.  Not only do I have a goal date, they do too.

These last couple weeks have been spent hashing out the rough spots and smoothing out the flow.  There's still some work to do before it's ready to be sent out.  But this week I finally feel like it's almost there.  Parts have been added, cut and moved around.  There are no more notes telling me how lame my book is, I'm not really sure why I do that to myself.  All that dead weight, those Dead Lines, have been chopped off and thrown away.

This hasn't been without struggle.  My Other Self (MOS) has been trying to distract me.  First, it wanted me to start a coupon blog.  Then, it wanted me to start selling stock photos online.  After that, it wanted me to apply for jobs.  And most tempting of all, it wants me to go through the Konmari method of decluttering.  Each time MOS pops up with an idea, I examine it and hold it in my mind.  Then I remind myself that I'm very close to my Deadline, so let's finish that first and see.

I do have plans for September while I wait for the edits to come back.  There's a few knitting patterns I'd like to design based on the landscapes of Montana.  And I'll also do Konmari since it's a good time to get rid of stuff before our next move to a home.

This Deadline has given me structure to plan during and beyond it.  I may not always be good with them but sometimes, like this time, it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment