After some searching last night, I think I would be stupid not to try to go the route of the kindle singles. Why try it myself, when I could have a little more help and royalties? I don't have a good reason, except that it's a little nerve racking having to submit something and the fear of rejection. But that is part of the publishing business, I've been through that before.
Here is the criteria from amazon:
• Length: 5,000 to 30,000 words
• List price: $0.99 to $4.99
• Original work, not previously published in other formats or publications
• Self-contained work, not chapters excerpted from a longer work
• Not published on any public website in its entirety
• We are currently not accepting how-to manuals, public domain works, reference books, travel guides, or children's books.
My book fall within the criteria. I also found an interesting article on how much some kindle singles authors have made. The numbers are encouraging, especially since the books are priced so low. Here's a link and see for yourself.