Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The Shape of Editing



Editing a book is a process that goes from Point A to Point B.  IF it seems like a long road with the end a long way away, you may be looking at it wrong.

Editing is not a straight line, it's a spiral from the outside in.  The process is still a long line, but it curves around and around, each circuit brings you closer to the ending spot in the middle.  It's like you're zeroing in closer and closer to your target with every step you take.

I've obviously been on this spiral for awhile and it does seem endless.  But each time I work on it I'm closer to the end.  The line from first draft to edited has been long but made more interesting by the shape of the line I'm on.  I can see where I've come from and where I'm going and trying not to get dizzy in the meantime.

On a side note, the impatient part of my brain that wants to create an not edit, made me do something last week.  I'm writing a new knitting pattern.  I'll update you on it when it's ready for purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment