Tuesday, July 1, 2014

It's Not About Me

Less of me in the picture

This is something that I often forget.  It's not really about me and what I can do with my gifts and talents.  Rather, it's about what God can do through me, in spite of myself.

The last leg of publishing Knitting by Faith required me to depend a lot on God.  As I uploaded the book and hit the "Publish" button, I gave it all to Him to use and whatever happened, happened.  Recently when I've worked on my India book, it's been about how I have to get this draft done.  How I need to get another one published while the momentum for the first one is strong.  And lately, how it's not really going so well for me.

And I bet the reason why it's not going so well is that I've forgotten once again, a simple fact.  It's not about me.  Time to ask for forgiveness and ask God to work through me despite my flaws and hang ups.

This probably won't be the last time that this will happen..  So I'm writing it down for myself to read this in the future as a reminder.  It's really better for it not to be about me anyway.  And there's a weight that's lifted when I realize that I'm not in charge of this writing thing.

I'm not saying that I have nothing at all to do with writing, that I start typing and God dictates what I write. That would be weird.  What I'm saying is that when I don't listen to that voice - that's when it doesn't work out so well.  It may seem that it's going well for a space of time but then something inside me feels off kilter.

As the focus is back on what God can do through me, let's see what happens to the India book.  God is full of surprises, and I like that about Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment