Friday, May 18, 2012

Halfway

Ok, ok.  This is a 5k and not a marathon.  But it's still a race that I completed.

If this were a marathon, I'd be halfway.  This is the part where I don't feel so fresh and fatigue is starting to set in.  The road stretches on just as far ahead as it is behind, and I wonder if I will have the stamina to make it to the finish line.   I've given this race a lot of effort already.  But just as much is needed to complete it.

I'm halfway done with my first edit of the book.  I probably will do at least 2 more edits before allowing others to look and critique.  Each edit should get easier.  This first one is making it sound cohesive and editing out stupid stuff.  After that I'll spell check and go again.  Then, I'll look at the book, trying to figure out how others will see it.  And then, release my baby out to the vultures, er, critique friends.

That should take me to the 3/4 mark of the marathon.

The last 5-6 miles will be compiling the critique notes, adding in the final touches like the cover and other extra parts.  I'll then get to play around with the kindle publishing thing and see how it uploads.  After it looks good, I'll let it rest and start working on the next one.

I'm tempted to start on the next one already.  And I may do that when I'm at the point of waiting for the critique to come back.  This is so I'll have a little head start on the second book and can get that knocked out a little faster.

The finish line is there, it just isn't quite in site yet.  But I'm still aiming straight for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment